For Total Gastric Health
- Advanced and effective pelleted formulation to help maintain digestive health and comfort.
- Contains key ingredients to help support gastric health, including pectins, lecithin, aloe vera, marshmallow root, glycine, liquorice.
- Slow-release calcium and magnesium from marine algae, to help maintain a healthy gut pH. Beta glucans from high nucleotide yeast to support gastric content viscosity and soothe the stomach wall.
- On a palatable alfalfa and soya hulls base, to provide a protective fibrous mat and provide additional buffering.
- BETA NOPS and UFAS accredited, ensuring our products do not contain prohibited substances and are suitable for horses competing under FEI regulations and the Rules of Racing.
Horses are designed to trickle feed – grazing for up to 16 hours a day. This means that they need to constantly secrete acid to help digest this almost continual source of food entering their stomach. A grazing horse will also produce up to 9 gallons of saliva a day which as well as lubricating the food, also acts to buffer or neutralize the acid.
Furthermore, the physical presence of food in the stomach acts as a protective “mat” or barrier, helping to prevent acid splashing on to the upper, unprotected areas of the stomach. So if access to forage (pasture, hay, haylage) is restricted, acid continues to be produced, and with restricted chewing time, less saliva is produced to buffer the acid.
The lower portion of the stomach (the glandular area), where the acid is produced, is naturally protected including mucous production and bicarbonate secretion, but the upper portion of the stomach (squamous area) has no such protection. If the horse is worked with a mainly empty stomach, when he trots, canters or jumps, or even just tenses his abdominal muscles, this acid can splash or be squeezed up to the unprotected area of the stomach The horse has a small stomach, and food does not stay in there for very long, so even short periods during the day without access to forage can cause problems.
In addition to restricted access to forage, there are other factors which have been reported to increase the incidence and severity of ulcers, including:
- Stress – social stressors such as bullying from stable neighbours or herd mates , or box location ( for example near the feed room or muck heap, resulting in increased activity past the door) have been shown to increase the risk of ulcers
- High starch diets – may result in increased volatile fatty acid production in the stomach, which may in turn result in abnormalities with sodium transport leading to cell damage in the stomach.
- Limited turnout and reduced access to natural antioxidants from grass
- Intense training and competition schedules and frequent travelling, especially long distance.
Benefits of Uls-Gard Pellets
- Natural support for gut health and comfort (Calcium, magnesium, lecithin, pectin, glycine).
- Key ingredients to soothe the stomach wall (Aloe vera, marshmallow root, liquorice).
- Beta Glucans from high nucleotide yeasts to support a healthy gastric mucosa.
- Alfalfa and soya hulls base to provide a protective fibrous mat.
- Palatable and easy to mix for fussy feeders.
- Suitable for foals at a reduced serving rate.
Ingredients & Nutrition
Equine America Uls-Gard Pellets have been formulated using carefully selected ingredients to help maintain gastric health and comfort including:
Slow release calcium and magnesium from marine algae, to help balance the gut pH.
Lecithin – a special type of fat which helps to protect and repair the cells lining the stomach
Pectins, Marshmallow root and Liquorice – to help produce mucilage which acts as a physical protective barrier for the unprotected upper portion of the stomach
Aloe Vera and Glycine – to help support the gastric mucosa (lining of the stomach).
High nucleotide yeast to provide beta glucans which help to increase the viscosity of stomach contents, and provide nutritional support for a healthy gastric mucosa (stomach lining)
Alfalfa and soya hulls to provide a fibrous “mat” and to help maintain a healthy gastric pH.
Additives (per kg): Technological additives: 1c322i Lecithin Liquid 15,125mg, Diatomaceous Earth (purified) E551c 25,000mg. Sensory Additives: 2b17034 Glycine 5,000mg,
Composition: Soya hulls (from genetically modified sources), Wheatfeed, Dried Alfalfa, Maerl, Apple Pectin, Magnesium Oxide, Yeast Products, Soya Oil (from genetically modified sources), Althaea officinalis (marshmallow) root powder, Liquorice root, Aloe Vera (200:1 extract).
|Crude Protein11.0%||Crude Ash24.1%|
Directions For Use
Uls-Gard Pellets are a complementary feed for horses and ponies, designed to support gastric health as part of a balanced diet.
For typical 500g horse: 100g per day, ideally divided in to 2 or 3 feeds. Maximum 200g per day if required. 50 g (approx.) measure enclosed)
Uls-Gard Solution can be syringed for fussy feeders.
Supreme Omega Oil - to provide additional non-starch calories and omega 3 fatty acids